Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Memorial Day 2011


I am so grateful for my family roots. My parents taught me to love my family and to love the Lord. They were hard-working, loyal people who gave unconditional love to each of my 9 siblings and myself. We knew they loved the Lord and they had testimonies that families can be together forever. Because of their testimony of this doctrine, they did all in their power to bring the Gospel into our home and to live in a way that we would want to be together forever. I appreciate the values they placed on work and education. Because of them, all 10 children attended college and most graduated from college. They never had a lot of money so it was up to each of us children to find a way to personally finance our education. How grateful I am for the principles of love, integrity, loyalty, hard work, faith in Christ, individual worth, knowledge, accountability, forgiveness, and repentance that were taught by word and by precept in my home. I am thankful for the truths of the Gospel of Jesus Christ - I learned to pray, to pay an honest tithe, to attend my church meetings and to give my best effort from my parents. I learned the value and importance of regular temple attendance as I watched my parents go forth in faith. I know that this way of life didn't begin with my parents. They learned these same principles from their parents, who learned them from their parents and so on, back to the first days of the restoration of the Gospel of Jesus Christ on earth. How richly blessed I am because of my family roots.
I am also thankful for all those in my family who have faithfully served to preserve our liberty and the freedom of America. My dad and his brothers served in World War II- it wasn't only their sacrifice but that of their parents and sister as well. How my Granny made it through those years, 2 sons serving in the war, one son dieing - then my dad joined the army air core, helping to defeat Hitler and his minions... the price of freedom is not free!

1 comment:

  1. Wonderful picture of your Dad. I can see you in him! Beautiful tribute!

    ReplyDelete