Monday, March 28, 2011

1st Triathlon

For the past 6 months, Ernie and I have trained for our first triathlon.  Although there were many bumps along the way, we managed to keep our focus and participate in our first Open Water Sprint Triathlon at Lake Havasu, AZ.  Our friend, Marv Procter, from South Weber Utah, encouraged our participation.  We drove to Lake Havasu on March 18, and met up with Marv and his wife, Denise, along with a few more of Marv's friends from Utah.  We were very excited but nervous for the event.  Neither Ernie nor I slept much that night. We woke bright and early at 5 am and prepared for the triathlon.  The lake was VERY cold, even though we both wore wet suits.  Unfortunately, my wetsuit didnt fit well and I carried half the lake in my swim.  My goal was to finish in 2 hours.  I was unable to run the 5 K at doctors orders because of severe arthritis in my left foot but even so, Ernie finished in 2 hours 2 minutes, while I finished in 2 hours 5 minutes.  We both struggled with the swim but even so, we are hoping to have more triathlons in our future = )
Here are some pictures of the day:
 Ernie and I finish the triathlon with a smile=)

 Before the swim  ...... Marv is far left, then Ernie, I am far right.
 We all finished without mishap!  Marv is center, with Ernie and me to his right.
 Denise, Marv, Ernie and Me ... with the lighthouse in the background = )
 Before the event!
What a great time!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment